Monday, September 12, 2011

In Search of the Best Lake Ontario Pickerel

Another great weekend in Prince Edward County. Pizza on the crush pad at Norm Hardie Winery, sipping some great wine at Wapoos Winery and now it’s dinner. I’ve followed chef Michael Potters over the years, tasted his food and now, I’m wanting to dine at Angelina’s so I can once again, be pampered by his flavours.

But it’s just not meant to be, Michael and I – the restaurant is full! Not a seat to be had, pity. I was here on Canada Day and it was closed, now it’s full. Oh well, third time a charm? Sure I’ll try another time, but he’s leaving for Hockley Valley so it must be before the end of the season.

All is not lost because East on Main Street Bistro in the trendy little village of Wellington is a fantastic place to dine, but right now I’m now in Bloomfield so I’ll go around the corner to The Carriage House where there’s none better pickerel than chef Scott Rapitan’s. It’s uber delicious; sweet, juicy, flaky flesh with the thinnest, crispiest, and tastiest skin ever! OMG!

In front of The Carriage House is the Marshmallow Room, an amazing bakery cafe with seductive pastries, crispy bread with doughy insides and high quality coffee and tea. It's a great little place for a leisurely, pampered breakfast or just for anytime your hungry!

There are those who claim the pickerel at Portobello’s in Picton is the best – I look forward to trying it soon. Lake Ontario pickerel is one of the most amazing fish when fresh and while it’s a delicious debate to claim the best in the County, all I know is that Prince Edward County has cornered the market on the absolute best pickerel to be had in Ontario! Get out there, try them all and let me know which is your choice. Check out The Ontario Table facebook page for more pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment