Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Culinary Inspiration from My Ethnic Heritage

I’m reviving my Italian grandmother’s recipes at a special cooking class on Dec. 13. My grandmother would make the old Italian traditional wine cookies, the hard ‘moscotte’ style cookies. I know no one knows what moscotte are but I’ve revived the concept into modern versions that you're sure to recognize.

Black Chocolate Cabernet Cookies

Toblerone Icewine Shortbread

Niagara Baco Noir Crescents

Chardonnay Curd Meringues

For the class, I’ll be splashing a bit of Cabernet into some black chocolate fudge cookies, a few drops of Niagara icewine in Toblerone shortbread and a smear of Chardonnay curd on light meringues.

The event to be held at Southbrook Vineyards in Niagara-on-the-Lake, will also feature a cookie exchange. For all who come with their own favourite Christmas cookies, they’ll leave with a beautiful assortment.

The event proceeds will go to the Craig Award, a scholarship program at Niagara College which helps fund innovative agricultural projects so consumers have food choices and agriculture becomes sustainable.

I started The Craig Award with my husband Jon in the name of our late son Craig, who died 10 years ago at age 22. Funds for the award are also being raised from sales of my cookbook, "Niagara Cooks: From Farm to Table."

For on-line reservations, go to www.NiagaraCooks.ca or email ogryzlo@sympatico.ca or call 905-262-4941.

No comments:

Post a Comment